Standing or Hand Mixer
Food scale – Zero out your scale properly taking into account the weight of the measuring container or follow instructions that come with your food scale.
8 oz. Unsalted Butter, Room Temp
12 oz. Unbleached Flour
1 tsp. Sea or Kosher Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
10 oz. Granulated Sugar
1 ea. Large Egg
1 ea. Large Egg Yolk
2 Tbls. Whole Milk
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
12 Tbls. Ube
1. Sift flour onto the food scale until you reach 12 oz. total. Depending on the size of your scale, sift this portion in two batches if needed. Place the sifted flour in a bowl. Add the baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. Sift sugar onto the food scale until you reach 10 oz. total. Place the sugar into a mixing bowl.
3. In the mixing bowl, place the butter with the sugar. Using a standing or hand mixer, mix the sugar and butter for a few minutes until they blend into a paste.
4. Add the milk, eggs and vanilla to the sugar and butter paste. Mix until well-combined, light in color, and fluffy in texture.
5. Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the mixing bowl. Mix until well-combined.
6. Spoon 6 tablespoons of ube and individually drop each tablespoon evenly over the cookie dough batter. In order to achieve the marble effect, avoid piling the ube in one spot.
With your spatula and using the “cut and fold method”, gently fold each tablespoon of ube into the batter (do not thoroughly combine). Drop the additional 6 tablespoons of ube over the batter. Continue with the cut and fold method until a “marble” effect appears. You should see streaks of ube in the batter.
7. Chill the cookie dough batter at least one hour. Chilled dough will be easier to roll and won’t stick to the hands as much.
8. After the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
7. Roll the cookie dough into round even balls, approximately 20 individual cookie dough balls.
8. For best results, give your cookies breathing room on the sheet pan. Depending on the size of your pan, limit the number of cookies you bake at a time. Avoid cramming the sheet pan.
Bake first for 6 minutes. Turn the sheet pan 180 degrees and bake another 5 minutes or until cookies have a light golden ring on the edges.
Instagram – @enlightenedvegetarian