72.1 F
Milpitas
Monday, July 15, 2024
spot_imgspot_img
NewsGovernmentMilpitas launches mortgage relief portion of its Rent and Mortgage Relief Program

Milpitas launches mortgage relief portion of its Rent and Mortgage Relief Program

Last month, the City of Milpitas announced that it had launched the mortgage relief portion of its Rent and Mortgage Relief Program. The program exists to help low- and moderate-income city residents who are in need of financial assistance to maintain their housing. 

The money for the program comes from the federal government’s American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA). Per the City Council, $950,000 has been approved to assist Milpitas residents, with 75% going to rent relief and the other 25% going to mortgage relief.

On a per-household basis, people can turn to the Rent and Mortgage Relief Program for $5,000 in rent relief and $15,000 in mortgage relief.

Said Milpitas City Manager Steve McHarris in a statement, “The City’s new assistance program is intended to help with current housing conditions, combined with high inflation and rising interest rates.”

The City’s press release went on to share a list of requirements (not all are listed below): 

To be eligible for the mortgage relief allotment, households must meet the following requirements:

 

  • Experienced an economic hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Hardship must have occurred after January 21, 2020.

 

  • Currently own one residential property and it must be the primary residence of homeowner(s).

 

  • Has not received other forms of governmental or private assistance for the same period requested.

 

  • At or below the 150% Area Median Income (AMI) limit for Santa Clara County.

 

Representatives from the City’s Rent and Mortgage Relief Program can be reached by phone at (408) 586-3222 or emailed at Housing@milpitas.gov. Applicants can also apply here: https://forwardplatform.com/city

Paid for by Evelyn Chua for Milpitas City Council FPPC#1470209spot_img
-Adverstisement-spot_img
-Adverstisement-spot_img
-Adverstisement-spot_img
Eric Shapiro
Eric Shapiro
Eric Shapiro is a writer & filmmaker. As a screenwriter, he’s won a Fade In Award and written numerous feature films in development by companies including WWE, Mandalay Sports Media, Game1, and Select Films. He is also the resident script doctor for Rebel Six Films (producers of A&E’s “Hoarders”). As a journalist, Eric’s won a California Journalism Award and is co-owner and editor of The Milpitas Beat, a Silicon Valley newspaper with tens of thousands of monthly readers that has won the Golden Quill Award as well as the John Swett Award for Media Excellence. As a filmmaker, Eric’s directed award-winning feature films that have premiered at the Fantasia Film Festival, Fantastic Fest, and Shriekfest, and been endorsed by PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). Eric’s apocalyptic novella “It’s Only Temporary” appears next to Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein” on Nightmare Magazine’s list of the 100 Best Horror Novels of All Time. He lives in Northern California with his wife, Rhoda, and their two sons.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

-Adverstisement-spot_img
-Adverstisement-spot_img
-Adverstisement-spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img